Today I have my recipe for the Ultimate Cookies & Goodies Party, Cardamom Orange Cookies with Browned Butter Toffee Icing!
The base of the recipe is the standard Nestle chocolate chip cookie recipe but we zazzed it up quite a bit by adding a generous amount of one of my favorite spices to cook with, cardamom, and some orange extract to give them just a hint of orange flavor. Orange and cardamom have always been one of my favorite flavor combinations, especially in fall…cardamom smells just like fall to me. My first batch came out pretty flat so I upped the flour and baking soda to get them fluffier, I almost always have to do this and I almost always forget that I do ever.single.time.
The icing is based off of this recipe from Cooking Classy but I folded in some toffee bits to give a little crunch and even more buttery flavor. I love how it gets that beautiful tan color and how you can see the little browned butter bits in it :)
I wanted to give these guys even more pizazz and a little “sparkle” so I thumbed through my faithful Joy of Cooking and tried my hand at making candied orange peel. I had no idea it takes so long to make these but I am so glad I did it cause they are little strips of candied heaven! Boiled for 30 minutes, boiled in sugar for 45 minutes, then baked for 20. But seriously, they taste JUST like those orange slice gummy candies in the bag! I definitely plan to do these again as little sweet snacks instead of just a garnish.
These turned out so good, and so perfect for the holidays with the citrus, toffee, and cardamom! And so pretty, right?!? Big thanks to my foodie-mentor-aunt Tracey for brainstorming these guys with me, and allowing me to keep adding ingredients to the list :)
- ½ cup butter (1 stick), softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp orange extract
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2½ cups flour
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cardamom
- ½ cup toffee bits
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 10 tbsp butter
- ¾ cup half and half
- ½ cup toffee bits
- peel of two oranges, sliced into ⅛" strips
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups water
- Combine butter, sugars, vanilla, and orange extract in bowl of stand mixer.
- Add eggs one at a time, combining thoroughly between each.
- In separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and ground cardamom.
- Slowly add to butter mixture until light and fluffy.
- Fold in the toffee bits.
- Chill at least an hour.
- Spoon onto greased baking sheet and bake at 375F for ~8 minutes.
- Put powdered sugar into bowl of stand mixer
- Make the browned butter (see this page for details)
- Pour browned butter over sugar and mix together.
- Slowly add the half and half until icing is creamy and smooth.
- Fold in the toffee bits
- Bring a saucepan of water to a boil
- Add peels and allow to boil for 15-30 minutes (the longer it boils, the less bitter they will be).
- Near the end, combine the sugar with two cups of water and stir to dissolve.
- Drain peels and rinse well with water.
- Bring pan with sugar water to a boil and add peels.
- Turn down to medium and allow to simmer for 45 minutes.
- Heat oven to lowest setting (~170F).
- Strain peels from sugar water but don't rinse this time.
- Place them onto a baking sheet covered in foil and sprinkle ¼ cup of sugar on them,
turning/stirring to coat.
- Place in the oven for 20-30 minutes to allow them to dry up a little.
- Then try not to eat all of them at once.
What are some of your family’s holiday goodie staples? I have a feeling these cookies may become a Thanksgiving tradition around here!